Re: Table-level replication

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 14:02:51 -0800

Frank van Bortel wrote:
> DA Morgan schreef:
>

>> Materialized view (older method) and Streams (newer 9i and 10g) and
>> intended for data replication.

> Daniel, are you not mixing up Advanced Replication and MV's?

I don't think so. A materialized view, on its own, will replicate data but it is not asynchronous and the OP indicated the connection, at times, may be down. Or at least that's my recollection and I'm sticking with it. ;-)

>> I would suggest you ignore Materialized Views if, as you previously
>> stated, the connection may be down. Streams is asynchronous and can
>> play catch-up. Materialized views are a maintenance nightmare.

> AR can be - MV's - nope

My point. And AR is not in the same galaxy, maintenance-wise as Streams.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington