Re: Help with SQL constraint

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 08:32:53 -0800

dean wrote:

>> As I presume you intend to put this into production there is no more
>> help available from me. YOYO. There is one and only one solution ...
>> correctly model your business requirement.
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damor..._at_x.washington.edu
>> (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org- Hide quoted text -

> Hocus-pocus trick, no. Magic, maybe. It is unique data for one
> particular value of the stated field.

I disagree. I understand your intent but I disagree with trying to play games with relational integrity. Remodel it.

>> There is one and only one solution ... correctly model your business requirement.

> Why do you think that productions systems are always so easily
> changed? How many companies have you consulted for that could just
> clean-sweep their database design and not go out of business? I work
> with a set of railroad companies that are still using 1960s
> technologies on proprietory mainframe systems, maybe I should suggest
> they upgrade some time!

I've so far worked for small insignificant firms like AT&T, Boeing, Washington Mutual Bank, and the like. Somehow they've succeeded in working within a relational database without playing such games and I've no doubt a poll of the vast majority here would similarly demonstrate that they have had no problem properly modeling using constraints.

I may be totally off-base and if so I apologize. But it seems you have determined the solution absent the tool and now are trying to make the tool fit your solution.

> The table in question is at the heart of a large system. I'm running
> some update queries on the table, and I think if I could join it
> properly to another table I could get the update to run faster. It
> would be an updatable join rather than an 'exists' query.

I think you can't. Or at least not the way you are trying to do it. Reconsider alternative methods of accomplishing the goal.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington