select part of a string only

From: Thiko! <biwombi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 15 Feb 2007 02:50:24 -0800

hi i have this text in v$parameter columns name and value:

name: log_archive_dest_1

value: LOCATION=/oraarch/oradata/flash_recovery_area/CPSLIVE/ archivelog

VALID_FOR=(ALL_LOGFILES,ALL_ROLES)   DB_UNIQUE_NAME=CPSLIVE1p

i do a select to return part of the LOCATION:

select replace(nvl(value,'NULL'),'LOCATION=') from v$parameter where name = 'log_archive_dest_1';

this returns:

/oraarch/oradata/flash_recovery_area/CPSLIVE/archivelog

                    VALID_FOR=(ALL_LOGFILES,ALL_ROLES)
                    DB_UNIQUE_NAME=CPSLIVE1p

Anybody know how i can truncate in my select statement to retrun me only '/oraarch/oradata/flash_recovery_area/CPSLIVE/archivelog' and not anything after this. i do not wish to include the VALID_FOR etc after it.

many thanks.

Thiko! Received on Thu Feb 15 2007 - 04:50:24 CST