Re: External Table vs Sql Loader

From: Anurag Varma <avoracle_at_gmail.com>
Date: 9 Feb 2007 09:11:39 -0800

On Feb 9, 11:32 am, "Bruce G." <uv_katastro..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am on Oracle 9i with a HPUX platform and we are using Sql loader to
> load tables from flat files. With external tables now available to
> handle this task, I was wondering which performs better. A direct
> load with sqlldr or using the external table.
>
> I am leaning towards the ET because it will eliminate the need for a
> staging table that we use on the sql loader method.

If you use insert /*+ append */ .... select * from external_table ... You'd find the performance similar.
You should use external tables unless there is a compelling case to use sql*loader (like loading from a remote client).

For more details, see this thread in asktom: http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:6611962171229

Anurag Received on Fri Feb 09 2007 - 11:11:39 CST