PL/SQL Loop Over Tables for "desc"

From: <aaron_at_mcs-partners.com>
Date: 8 Feb 2007 17:15:49 -0800

Yep, I'm a noob. I did rtfm, and I searched Google. Found a couple of things that were close, but no cookie. I have hopes someone more experienced could shed some light on this.

Using: (Not my choice and no immediate option to upgrade.)

Oracle7 Server Release 7.3.3.6.0 - Production Release PL/SQL Release 2.3.3.6.0 - Production

I want to loop over the non-system tables and get a "desc" of those tables. I could probably do it another way, but I want to know why the following doesn't work:

I get this output:

    describe vtable;

             *
ERROR at line 9:

ORA-06550: line 9, column 14:
PLS-00103: Encountered the symbol "VTABLE" when expecting one of the
following:

The symbol ":=" was substituted for "VTABLE" to continue.

Bonus question: when I enable the "set serveroutput on" line, I get an extra error complaining about the following "declare" line. Any ideas why?

declare
*
ERROR at line 1:

Thanks for any help. Received on Thu Feb 08 2007 - 19:15:49 CST