Re: Metalink spam

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 5 Feb 2007 16:00:34 -0800

On Feb 5, 1:01 am, Jim Smith <usene..._at_ponder-stibbons.com> wrote:
> In message <1170656209.081102.27..._at_s48g2000cws.googlegroups.com>, joel
> garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> writes
>

> >On Jan 31, 1:43 pm, Jim Smith <usene..._at_ponder-stibbons.com> wrote:

> >> WTF?

> >> A metalink login must be an email address, but I have never sent any
> >> mail using that address. I usually use different addresses for
> >> registrations so I can try to trace where spammers get their info. It
> >> also reduces the impact if I have to change an address because of spam.

> >> I've raised it with metalink feedback, but I don't expect much response.
> >> --
> >> Jim Smith
> >> Ponder Stibbons Limited <http://oracleandting.blogspot.com/>
> >> RSS <http://oracleandting.blogspot.com/atom.xml>
>
> >I also have a metalink-specific email address that has been spammed by
> >this Venus.
> >It includes the obviously fake old "Disclaimer: Under Bills.1618 Title
> >III passed by the 105th U.S. Congress this mail cannot be considered
> >Spam as long as we include contact information and a method to be
> >removed from our mailing list. To be removed from our mailing list
> >please reply to the sender with the word "REMOVE" in your subject
> >line. Include complete address and/or domain/aliases to be removed."
>
> >Unfortunately, I've made a couple of posts on the metalink forums.
>
> That's probably it for me to.
>
> I'll add that info to my SR on this.

Watch out when changing email accounts, I seem to have had issues with the password automatically changing. Then when I used the reset password procedure, it sent me a temporary password for the account name from before when they used email id's. Since you can only login with an email id, that didn't work very well. In the end, I had to use phone support, much more difficult than it should be. Always "entertaining" to get an email saying to login to metalink, when the issue is you can't login to metalink.

Sheesh.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.