Re: Never rebuild Indexes?

From: HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 00:06:15 GMT

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 20:12:05 +0000, Oradba Linux wrote:

> HansF wrote:

>>> oh boy... You sound like a mystery novel.
>>>
>>> Do you feel it will bloat back up to 12G again. I am sure it will
>>> increase but by how much is the question. I will not have any deletes to
>>> this table. Many concurrent inserts from data loads.

>> As Frank says - wait a couple of weeks, then re-evaluate.
>>
>> If it bloats back to the 12G, you run the typical "if it's Friday we
>> rebuild indexes" syndrome.
>>
>> Perhaps you may want to look at alternates to answer why it is
>> bloating. Block size may be a factor, as may be other items - check
>> the "Indexes" chapter in Tom Kytes books for ideas.
>>

> Are you referring to Expert one on one book

Yes. As one of the reference books. I usually go to http://www.apress.com and look under the Oracle section for ISBNs for Tom's books. I personally prefer the discussions in his latest (Expert ... Architecture)

The point [I think] Frank is trying to make is: an index may have a natural size - for a specific %used/%free setting, blocksize and transaction pattern. Rebuilding may result in a significant savings in size, but if the settings/blocksize/transaction pattern are maintained, the index will eventually return to that natural size.

Better to understand what is driving that natural size than blindly rebuilding.

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!