Re: changing the isolation level

From: Marten Lehmann <lehmannmapson_at_cnm.de>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 05:47:00 +0100

Hello,

>>Think of a script, that generates invoices montly. Lets say you have a
>>average volume of $1000 dollar. So if a run of the script in the next
>>month just returns a volume of $200 you can be pretty sure, that
>>something has gone wrong. But if you cannot see this until you confirmed
>>all the stuff, then it is too late to revoke it.

> Then in ORACLE use a staging table.
>
> the load application loads the staging table and commits. (it can even
> exit at this point.)
>
> the validation application reads the staging table and approves the
> changes by inserting them in the final tables, or disapproves (maybe
> generates error reports?), and finally deletes the rows from the
> staging table.

I'm not generating data for fun! There are several records changed while the data is generated. And as long as I haven't committed the transaction I can perform checks and rollback everything. But if I'm putting everything in a staging table, commit the transaction (so the other process can read the data in the staging table) and if I detect errors then, I don't have that option to rollback. And then there is no way back to the original data. Think of a hash-function where you can't get the original string from the hash, so you have to check it in advance. Received on Sat Feb 03 2007 - 22:47:00 CST