Partitioning examples (was Re: move a row from table t1 to t2)

From: <hasta_l3_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2 Feb 2007 08:56:31 -0800

On 2 fév, 03:43, "Ana C. Dent" <anaced..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Prasath" <prasath...._at_gmail.com> wrote in news:1170346209.864715.221880
> @q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
> >Tablet2is used to stored aged data. Hence, using view is not the
> > solution I am looking for.
>
> Just use partitioning &movethe partition from current_table to
> archived_table

Ana, would you (or anybody else :-) have a reference to a web site or book with examples of partionning in actual applications ?

In my case :

  1. Data have both a creation and an expiry date. Expiry date is computed and may change (rarely). Different rows have pretty different (expiry - creation) delays. Ideally, expiry date should be used for aging out.
  2. Partition maintenance shall be transparent to the user. There is no dba on site.

I would like to study how people implement this kind of requirements...

Thanks much