Re: Metalink spam

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 31 Jan 2007 05:44:57 -0800

On Jan 31, 2:51 am, Jim Smith <usene..._at_ponder-stibbons.com> wrote:
> I recently received some recruitment spam from a company called Venus
> IT, using an email address which only exists as my metalink login.
>
> Has anyone else received anything like this?
>
> The availability of my metalink login to a third party has disturbing
> implications.
> --
> Jim Smith
> Ponder Stibbons Limited <http://oracleandting.blogspot.com/>
> RSS <http://oracleandting.blogspot.com/atom.xml>

Metalink Id's have been imporperly used in the past, but I get a lot more junk email from newsgroup postings than I have from metalink postings.

The email address could have been obtained off of any scanned email message that included the id in its address list so if anyone ever emailed you or you emailed someone via metalink your address is floating around.