Re: date problem

From: Jeff Kish <jeff.kish_at_mro.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 14:05:37 -0500

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 13:51:05 -0500, Jeff Kish <jeff.kish_at_mro.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 10:15:39 -0800, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:
<snip>
>>> INSERT INTO table( id, newpass, thedate )VALUES ( :userid, :pswd,
>>> TO_DATE( :thedate, 'DY MON DD HH24:MI:SS YYYY' ) )
>>>
>>> Note the colons prefix names used to bind values in the embedded system.
>>>
>>> I thought the TO_DATE would 'fix' things up properly.. I'm not sure how to
>>> analyze the problem to determine the cause.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any suggestions,
>>>
>>> Jeff Kish
>>
>>Verify character sets and NLS properties.
>>
>>ALTER SYSTEM as is appropriate.
>>
>>Also, verify the database version, is compatible. When you say "old" I
>>ask "how old?"
>I'm waiting for an answer to the "old" question.
>
>How do I verify the character and NLS properties past the query already done
>for the character set?
>
>I'm not sure we can do any 'alter system' as it might alter the customers
>system which has other things running on it. (I'm studying and trying to
>understand).
>
>thanks
>Jeff Kish

I found out that this insert with the TO_DATE works if a hard coded 'Dec' is changed to the Spanish abbreviation 'Dic'.

Is this then driven by the character set of the server? I'm not sure if I need to check any client settings, or how to.

Jeff

Jeff Kish Received on Thu Jan 25 2007 - 13:05:37 CST