hiding password in configuration file

From: Mark Harrison <mh_at_pixar.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 18:53:12 GMT

We have a configuration file for our application that describes various parameters, including server configuration information.

DB_CONNECT_STRING = myname/mypassword_at_myinstance

I would like to not include the password in the configuration file, but also do not want to have users have to manually enter a password. (most users are unaware there is a database involved).

This application is read-only, and is wholly contained within our internal network.

One option I was considering was specifying the connect string something like

        myname/@myinstance

and having my application fill in the password.

Comments and Suggestions appreciated!

Many TIA,
Mark Received on Tue Jan 23 2007 - 12:53:12 CST