Re: changing the isolation level

From: AlterEgo <alterego55_at_dslextreme.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 12:30:28 -0800

Frank,

I disagree with the notion that Read Uncommitted is unnecessary. It is all based upon the business requirement. There are business requirements that require only approximations and do not need to be audited. Below is a real life scenario that would require substantial increase in hardware as well as an increase in the development and maintenance functions if it weren't for Read Uncommitted.

Environment:
200 million micro-transactions per day.
Real-time querying of the transactions to keep operational metrics for alerts, notifications, etc.
Single row transactions in three tables from 60 web servers.

Requirement:
Run a count every five minutes to factor transactions/minute (150K transactions per minute at peak). Raise an alert if the count is plus or minus 1.5 standard deviations from the norm at that time of the day.

If I am counting 750K transactions over a five minute period, of what consequence is it if I overcount even a few hundred because of transaction rollback?

Of course, my application logs the failed transactions to fix the application and eliminate the rollback in the future. And, there is another near real time metric that counts transaction failures.

It would double, triple, quadruple? the harware and licensing costs to increase the processing capacity to allow the above query to run without lock contention affecting the transations. My CEO is fine with this approximation.