Re: Timestamp of Last update on a TABLE.

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 16 Jan 2007 11:41:00 -0800

chandu wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Is there any way/command of getting the TIME STAMP OF LAST UPDATE MADE
> on ORACLE TABLE ?

There are a couple of things that could be done, but nothing by default. It depends exactly what you want to do with the information as to which way you should use.

As far as the database is concerned, updates occur based on system change numbers, which aren't necessarily tightly correllated to the time. The usual read-consistent view of data is more dependent on whether something happens before or after a commit than the exact time.  Dig into the concepts manual for more information. If you think about it, when you look at a table, your view of a table is from the beginning of your transaction or statement - and other updates may happen after that, which may or may not be committed - so when is the last update? It depends...

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
We're from the government and we're here to help