Re: VIEWS in Oracle

From: HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 19:04:22 GMT

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 17:15:36 +0100, Matthias Matker wrote:

> Can anybody give me a short explanation? Is a VIEW a temporary table?

A view is nothing more than a 'stored select'.

You create a select statement, give it a name, store it under that name in the database and then call it up later by the name rather than by re-entering the entire statement.

There are many reasons for creating views ... and many reasons for NOT creating views. As others have stated, read the Oracle Concepts manual for more definition, detail and rationalle around views.

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!