Re: .NET stored procedures

From: Michael O'Shea <michael.oshea_at_tessella.com>
Date: 15 Jan 2007 05:40:45 -0800

HansF wrote:
> Unfortunately, the majority of .Net, C#, Java (and even many PL/SQL)
> developers seem to prefer doing the data manipulation in the app code
> instead of the database. As a result, the majority of apps I've seen tend
> to run worse than they should.
>
> If it's performance you want, make sure you understand the tools, and
> especially the Oracle database mechanics, before coding. If you
> haven't done so, please Read Tom Kyte's books.

I couldn't agree more Hans, and if I may deviate slightly off topic, the following article was distributed internally recently.

http://www.addsimplicity.com.nyud.net:8080/downloads/eBaySDForum2006-11-29.pdf

It outlines the eBay architecture with Oracle as the DBMS. Page 22 "Scaling the Data Tier: Minimize DB Resources" writes the following:

I'm sure there is something contentious there.

Mike

TESSELLA Michael.OShea_at_tessella.com

__/__/__/  Tessella Support Services plc
__/__/__/  3 Vineyard Chambers, ABINGDON, OX14 3PX, England
__/__/__/  Tel: (44)(0)1235-555511  Fax: (44)(0)1235-553301
www.tessella.com Registered in England No. 1466429 Received on Mon Jan 15 2007 - 07:40:45 CST