Re: Cannot Store Chinese Characters In Oracle 9.2 Database

From: Alain Migeon <migeon.alain_at_tdcspace.dk>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:40:55 +0100

In article <1168597044.393370.247670_at_i15g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, kennymcetech_at_googlemail.com says...
> Hi,
>
> I'm having trouble localizing my Oracle 9.2 / ASP web application for
> our Chinese-speaking users.
>
> My Oracle 9.2 Database has NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET set to AL16UTF16.
>
> I've set up a test table thus:
>
> CREATE TABLE "TBL_TEST_CH"
> (
> field1 NVARCHAR2(40),
> field2 NVARCHAR2(40)
> )
> /
>
> I have the chinese character set installed on my database / web server
> (same box), as well as a test client machine. I can see chinese
> characters in my web browser, and can enter them in a test ASP page
> I've set up. When I execute an insert statement via ADO, the insert
> statement seems to work, but the result is that the data seems to be
> stored as upside-down question marks.
>
> I thought perhaps the data was being somehow scrambled between the web
> app and the database, so I set up an external table import the chinese
> data from a unicode text file:
>
> CREATE TABLE kenny.ch_import
> (
> FIELD1 NVARCHAR2(255),
> FIELD2 NVARCHAR2(255)
> )
> ORGANIZATION EXTERNAL (TYPE oracle_loader
> DEFAULT DIRECTORY ext_dat_dir
> ACCESS PARAMETERS
> (RECORDS DELIMITED BY ":"
> FIELDS TERMINATED BY "~"
> missing field values are null)
> LOCATION (ext_dat_dir:'test_ch.txt'))
> reject limit unlimited
> /
>
> However, when I query the data in the external table using my web
> application, it comes back with garbage like "ÿþ1" and the like.
>
> I'd really appreciate any suggestions on what I could do next to
> determine exactly where the problem lies. I've not been able to
> convince myself that the database is correctly storing the chinese
> character data, but I appreciate equally that the problem could lie
> elsewhere.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Kenny McEwan.

I have initiated a thread toward a problem when storing Unicode characters in a database. That time, it was with cyrillic characters.

Question : how do you import your data? Is it with ODBC, JDBC, or directly OCI?

If you use ODBC in C/C++ programming, then you can follow these steps, in order to build queries to import data with Unicode characters :

There are sample code in the help of the Oracle ODBC driver.

Alain Migeon
Please reverse alain and migeon for replying. Received on Fri Jan 12 2007 - 04:40:55 CST