Re: Procobol error.. please help

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_gmail.com>
Date: 19 Dec 2006 10:25:55 -0800

On Dec 18, 1:24 am, "attraxion" <attrax..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm a newbie. I am trying to create a program to extract some entries
> from tables and load some others, using Pro*COBOL. The overall thing
> seems to be all right, but on compiling I am getting a strange one I
> never encountered before -
>
> PCB-S-00400, Encountered the symbol "<end-of-source>" when expecting
> one of the following:
> + - * / . & id string integer floating-point literal EXTERNAL
> GLOBAL REFERENCE PICTURE USAGE BINARY COMP COMPUTATIONAL
> COMPUTATIONAL-4 ........ etc etc
>
> I STFWed but there is no description of this error anywhere on google.
> The error occurs at a place where I try to include a file containing
> valid values in my program. The excerpt from the list file is as
> follows -
>
> 132 01 SW00-FILE-I-STATUS SYNC PIC X(2)
> 133 *----------------------------------------------------
> 134 * COPY 'filestatus.va'
> 135 *----------------------------------------------------
> 136 88 FS-FILE-STATUS-OK
> Error at line 137, column 29 in file extract_art_image.pco
> 137 VALUE IS "00".
> 137 ............................1
> 137 PCB-S-00400, Encountered the symbol "<end-of-source>" when
> expecting one of the following:
> + - * / . & id string integer floating-point literal
> EXTERNAL
> GLOBAL REFERENCE PICTURE USAGE BINARY COMP COMPUTATIONAL
> COMPUTATIONAL-4 COMP-1 COMP-2 COMP-3 COMP-4 COMP-5 COMP-X
> INDEX PACKED-DECIMAL DISPLAY POINTER DISPLAY-1 REDEFINES
> PROCEDURE-POINTER OCCURS SIGN LEADING TRAILING SYNCHRONIZED
> JUSTIFIED BLANK VALUE VARYING THROUGH NEXT START LENGTH AND
> ALL OR
>
> 138 88 FS-CREATED-DUPLICATE-ALT-KEY
> 139 VALUE IS "02".
> 140 88 FS-RECORD-NOT-SIZE-OF-BUFFER
> 141 VALUE IS "04".
> 142 88 FS-OPTIONAL-FILE-NOT-PRESENT
> 143 VALUE IS "05".
>
> Can anyone give me some pointers on why this is happening? The valid
> values file is working okay with other programs.
>
> Thanks a lot in anticipation,
> Best,
> Attraxion.

I'm not a COBOL programmer but given the description you gave, it sounds like a problem in the source code that does the include. The erro couls be due to the intermingling of embedded SQL and COBOL (improper nesting) or simply a typo. Anyway the include file would not be my primary suspect.

  HTH,
  ed Received on Tue Dec 19 2006 - 12:25:55 CST