Re: Rman - could not restore database after restoring backup controlfile

From: Jim Smith <usenet_at_ponder-stibbons.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 09:21:51 +0000

In message <1166432788.700954.327300_at_j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, Lech <leszek.adamek_at_gmail.com> writes
>I used following RMAN commands:
>
>1. configure channel device type disk maxpiecesize=4G;
>2. backup database format '/mnt/backup/bpsc_%U.bkp' include current
>controlfile plus archivelog;
>then I shut down oracle and moved control and data files to other
>location,
>then I restored controlfiles form backup using:
>restore controlfile from '/mnt/backup/bpsc_07i51o55_1_1.bkp';
>then I restarted and mounted database and tried to restore using
>restore database but i obtained following errors:
>RMAN-06026: some targets not found - aborting restore
>RMAN-06023: no backup or copy of datafiles .... -for all datafiles,
>so I assumed my backup isn't registered in catalog (controlfile).I
>konow that I can catalog datafile copy but I can't find a way to
>catalog a backup.
>Regards
>Lech
>

>Jim Smith napisal(a):
>> In message <1166427629.304419.243970_at_73g2000cwn.googlegroups.com>, Lech
>> <leszek.adamek_at_gmail.com> writes
>> >Hello all!
>> >I'm testing ability to restore database after total loosing of
>> >datafiles and controlfiles. I have Rman backup with controlfile. I
>> >restored controlfile from backup, but I cannot restore database using
>> >the same backup. I'm getting error "RMAN-06023: no backup or copy of
>> >datafile..." when I try to "restore database". I don't use catalog
>> >database. Is it possible to re-catalog backup? How?
>> >Thank you for help
>> >Lech
>> >
>> What rman commands are you using to backup?
>> What is the location of the backups?
>> What commands are you using to restore?
>> --
>> Jim Smith
>> Ponder Stibbons Limited <http://oracleandting.blogspot.com/>
>> RSS <http://oracleandting.blogspot.com/atom.xml>

Please don't top post.

You don't say what version you are using but in 10g you can use "catalog backuppiece 'filename'".

You might want to check out why you backup is not in the control file.

I always use a separate controlfile backup.

'configure controlfile autobackup on'
'configure controlfilefile autobackup format for device type ...'

This backs up the control file AFTER the main backup and that ensures that the backup is catalogued.