Re: NOLOGGING clause

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: 9 Dec 2006 23:40:06 -0800

dean wrote:
> So are there any specific table creation clauses we should be using
> then, in this kind of situation? We use a 9.2 and 10g mix, depending on
> clients, and we have many so-called output-set tables that just hold
> data for reports and internal calculations. Such tables can easily be
> recreated, but they also contain more data on a storage level than any
> other tables. If we don't care about any recoverability, is there
> anything else worth investigating?
>
> The tables are initially filled using SQL loader, which I'm not
> interested in speeding up. But after that, we do allow smaller edits
> and inserts - a few tens to a few thousand rows at a time during user
> interaction.
>
> Thanks, Dean

Sorry to say so, but it looks like you would better use globally temporary tables, and/or other mechanisms like PL/SQL tables and REF cursors, to avoid persistent storage.
Using persistent storage is a typical SQL server habit of abusing databases to do things procedurally, where they should have been done non-procedurally (ie in one statement).
That said, *I* would probably just dump the application and start all over again.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA