Re: NOLOGGING clause

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: 8 Dec 2006 07:10:27 -0800

On Dec 8, 3:47 pm, "dean" <deanbrow..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> What's the NOLOGGING clause for when creating tables? Some of our
> tables (particularly intermediate and output set tables) have been
> created with the NOLOGGING clause, which I assume means that in the
> case of a system failure (crash), these tables won't be recoverable.
> This is acceptable, since the process would be restarted anyway once
> oracle was restarted. On the plus side, I assume inserts and updates
> are faster. Is this generally a good idea and something that people
> would recommend in general?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dean

NOLOGGING is only applicable to certain operations like INSERTS in APPEND mode and direct path loads using SQL*Loader. Ordinary INSERTS and UPDATES will be logged. On a properly tuned system the belief INSERTS and UPDATES are faster without logging should be qualified as an unproven superstition. Oracle added the FORCE LOGGING clause for standby situations, to override any NOLOGGING operations. Any idea why? Do you *really* think NOLOGGING is recommended? Or do you like quick job changes?

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA