Re: ORDER BY question

From: Jim Smith <usenet_at_ponder-stibbons.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 10:09:32 +0000

In message <1165549775.331061.53010_at_16g2000cwy.googlegroups.com>, baoqinye_at_gmail.com writes
>The architecture group of our company has told us to avoid using ORDER
>BY in our queries. Their reasons are:
>
>- In 10G, order by is incredibly inconsistent. They had an example with
>only 2 rows of data that was extremely slow. Even if it looks like it
>works alright, it's not guaranteed to, and we can't predict when
>it'll fail. That instability is one of the main reasons against it.
>
>- ORDER BY a primary key, especially when the primary key is not used
>in the where clause, has the worst performance and is definitely to be
>avoided.
>
>Is this true?

As others have said, this is probably complete rubbish. I suspect inadequate memory allocated to pga etc, and inconsistent statistics. Some evidence would be nice.

What are they proposing instead? Sorting in client programs? Data arriving in random order?

--
Jim Smith
Ponder Stibbons Limited <http://oracleandting.blogspot.com/>