outer join

From: BigLearner <Small.Learner_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2 Dec 2006 23:05:36 -0800

Hai everyone,

This is what I get from one of the sites when I searched for outer joins but my book says having + on right means outer join and if its on left means its left join but the example is the other way round.

does it make a difference when we swap the join condition? or the order the tables are listed in the from clause?

can someone explain to me how + works against right and left outer join

my book and the articles that i see on the web are contradicting.

dept.deptno (+) = emp.deptno

records from emp would be returned even if no corresponding records exists in dept. is this left join or right join?

SQL> select p.part_id, s.supplier_name
2 from part p right outer join supplier s 3 on p.supplier_id = s.supplier_id;

PART SUPPLIER_NAME
---- --------------------

P1 Supplier#1
P2 Supplier#2
Supplier#3

SQL> select p.part_id, s.supplier_name
2 from part p, supplier s
3 where p.supplier_id (+) = s.supplier_id;

PART SUPPLIER_NAME
---- --------------------

P1 Supplier#1
P2 Supplier#2
Supplier#3

SQL> select p.part_id, s.supplier_name
2 from part p, supplier s
3 where p.supplier_id = s.supplier_id (+);

PART SUPPLIER_NAME
---- --------------------

P1 Supplier#1
P2 Supplier#2
P3
P4

SQL> select p.part_id, s.supplier_name
2 from part p left outer join supplier s 3 on p.supplier_id = s.supplier_id;

PART SUPPLIER_NAME

P1 Supplier#1
P2 Supplier#2
P4
P3

BigLearner Received on Sun Dec 03 2006 - 01:05:36 CST