Re: Duration Question

From: Dave411 <dave.howland_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2 Dec 2006 12:30:59 -0800

Hmm.. If there's a class that offers this, sign me up .. I might have misstated it, because I'm pretty sure it's not that easy.

The idea is, with just the start, end, and duration, have a report that would show the following:

The maximum number of cars on the road, in the hour of:

    hour           00   01   02   03   04   05  06   07  (AM) ......
    num cars 10 12 15 3 0 11 19 31 .......

So the idea is to have the report generate a 24 hour snapshot of the max numbers - each hour. As I write this I realize that the original question wasn't clear about the layout , but this is my goal. Is it still something that I could use count(*), between, group by? Do I need to do some kind of self join? The table is very large (millions of rows), so I'm also concerned about performance.