Re: Transferring Oracle database

From: Jim Smith <usenet_at_ponder-stibbons.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 07:16:06 +0000

In message <eko0bk$dgu$1_at_news.onet.pl>, Michal AKA Miki <jakistammichal_at_z.onetu.pl> writes
>Uzytkownik "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> napisal w wiadomosci
>> Michal AKA Miki wrote:
>> > Hi...
>> >
>> > Maybe somebody will help me with one thing..
>> >
>> > I've just faced new task - copying data from Oracle based on Unix (HP
>UX),
>> > to Oracle based on Windows 2000 Server...
>> > I wonder, if there is any possibility (or "cheap" tool) to copy settings
>and
>> > data between different systems... I know, I can export data from old
>> > machine, and import inside new one - I can do it... But unfortuantely
>I'm
>> > not very familiar with such migrations, so all helpful links or infos
>will
>> > be appreciated..
>
>> Given that you are working with Oracle version 5 it is not possible. <g>
>>
>> On the other hand if you have 8i or above you could use Export/Import
>> 9i or above you could use Transportable Tablespaces
>> 10g or above you could use DataPump or External Tables
>>
>> All of these are free ... hope that is cheap enough.
>> Documentation can be found at: http://tahiti.oracle.com and demos
>> in Morgan's Library at www.psoug.org.
>
>Thanks a lot... Also for the rest... Now I need some time to dig those infos
>(and some another - googled)...
>
>Meanwhile a bunch of details:
>- Oracle on HP UX has version 8.1.6
>- Oracle on Windows should be version 10.x (10.0.9 AFAIR), but if I will not
>manage, I will do also version 8.1.6. But this is situation not very
>comfortable, because version 8.x is not supported anymore by Oracle...
>- Oracle on Windows is not yet installed, I don't know if it's important
>info :)
>- I practiced IMP80.EXE and EXP80.EXE - data transfers are easy... but I
>need also to transfer procedures, tablespaces settings, and whole rest.
>- I wonder, if there is any tool, for pointing source path (copied from Unix
>system to Windows),

Yes. It is called exp. exp will transfer procedures and tablespaces, although because you are transferring from hpux to windows it won't be able to create the tablespaces because the file name format will be wrong.

Try these steps.

On your source machine do a full export (exp ... full=y)

On you target machine create a simple database with only the mandatory tablespaces[1].

ON the target machine do imp ... show=y indexfile=indexfile.txt

Edit indexfile.txt and extract the "create tablespace" statements. Modify the filenames to something more suitable

Run the create tablespace statements in sqlplus.

Do a full import.

[1] For a useful create database statement, investigate 'backup controlfile to trace'.

--
Jim Smith
Ponder Stibbons Limited <http://oracleandting.blogspot.com/>