Re: Transferring Oracle database

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 1 Dec 2006 13:25:29 -0800

Michal AKA Miki wrote:
> Uzytkownik "Volker Hetzer" <firstname.lastname_at_ieee.org> napisal w
> wiadomosci news:ekpgok$uka$1_at_nntp.fujitsu-siemens.com...
> > Michal AKA Miki schrieb:
> > > Meanwhile a bunch of details:
> > > - Oracle on HP UX has version 8.1.6
> > > - Oracle on Windows should be version 10.x (10.0.9 AFAIR), but if I will
> not
> > > manage, I will do also version 8.1.6. But this is situation not very
> > > comfortable, because version 8.x is not supported anymore by Oracle...
> > > - Oracle on Windows is not yet installed, I don't know if it's important
> > > info :)
> > > - I practiced IMP80.EXE and EXP80.EXE - data transfers are easy... but I
> > > need also to transfer procedures, tablespaces settings, and whole rest.
> > Do you really /want/ to transfer tablespace setitngs? I mean, you are
> really
> > sure you don't want locally managed tablespaces?
>
> They will be locally managed. It's little misunderstanding here...
>
> > A migration from 8 to 10g is a bit more than just copying stuff.
> > Have you tested this? I've heard bad things about forms performance
> > for instance, when the RBO goes away.
>
> I did not tested it myself, but I know, that the same application is working
> on Oracle 10, but don't know exactly which version..
> About performance - application is used by 5 people (maybe one more during
> next year), I hope our good P4 will be fully enough..
>
> > And what's 10.0.9? I can't find any 10.0 release. As far as I know the
> first
> > 10g release was 10.1.
>
> my mistake :) on CD there is written 109 so it looks, that it's 10g or 10.9
> (if such exists)
>
> I've read comments from you and other guys and it looks, that most safe
> method will be manual creation and just imp/exp functionality...
> I really appreciate all advices - many thanks once again..
>
> Regards
> Michal

One thing I haven't seen mentioned, is that there were a couple of imp/exp bugs found or added near the end of life of 8i. You should become familiar with metalink support and research this issue, so you don't lose data. See Note:175624.1 (the FAQ). Closely read the Note:132904.1 compatability matrix, especially the part that says "Direct migration with a full database export and full database import   is only supported if the source database is... 8.1.7."

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"Note that an import client is technically capable to read export dump