Re: Transferring Oracle database

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 08:28:45 -0800

Michal AKA Miki wrote:
> Uzytkownik "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> napisal w wiadomosci

>> Michal AKA Miki wrote:
>>> Hi...
>>>
>>> Maybe somebody will help me with one thing..
>>>
>>> I've just faced new task - copying data from Oracle based on Unix (HP

> UX),
>>> to Oracle based on Windows 2000 Server...
>>> I wonder, if there is any possibility (or "cheap" tool) to copy settings

> and
>>> data between different systems... I know, I can export data from old
>>> machine, and import inside new one - I can do it... But unfortuantely

> I'm
>>> not very familiar with such migrations, so all helpful links or infos

> will
>>> be appreciated..

>> Given that you are working with Oracle version 5 it is not possible. <g>
>>
>> On the other hand if you have 8i or above you could use Export/Import
>> 9i or above you could use Transportable Tablespaces
>> 10g or above you could use DataPump or External Tables
>>
>> All of these are free ... hope that is cheap enough.
>> Documentation can be found at: http://tahiti.oracle.com and demos
>> in Morgan's Library at www.psoug.org.

> Thanks a lot... Also for the rest... Now I need some time to dig those infos
> (and some another - googled)...
>
> Meanwhile a bunch of details:
> - Oracle on HP UX has version 8.1.6
> - Oracle on Windows should be version 10.x (10.0.9 AFAIR), but if I will not
> manage, I will do also version 8.1.6. But this is situation not very
> comfortable, because version 8.x is not supported anymore by Oracle...
> - Oracle on Windows is not yet installed, I don't know if it's important
> info :)
> - I practiced IMP80.EXE and EXP80.EXE - data transfers are easy... but I
> need also to transfer procedures, tablespaces settings, and whole rest.
> - I wonder, if there is any tool, for pointing source path (copied from Unix
> system to Windows), where whole catalog with data is stored?
> in my case: oradata/MRH/ have files:
> drwxrwxrwx 4 root sys 96 Jan 4 2006 ..
> -rw-rw---- 1 oracle oracle 8302592 Dec 1 02:47 ctrl01.ctl
> -rw-rw---- 1 oracle oracle 8302592 Dec 1 02:47 ctrl02.ctl
> -rw-rw---- 1 oracle oracle 10489856 Nov 30 17:48 indx01.ora
> -rw-rw---- 1 oracle oracle 10486784 Nov 30 14:09 log11.ora
> -rw-rw---- 1 oracle oracle 10486784 Nov 30 17:33 log21.ora
> -rw-rw---- 1 oracle oracle 10486784 Dec 1 00:04 log31.ora
> -rw-rw---- 1 oracle oracle 10486784 Nov 30 09:41 log41.ora
> -rw-rw---- 1 oracle oracle 103018496 Dec 1 00:20 rbs01.ora
> -rw-rw---- 1 oracle oracle 81924096 Dec 1 00:20 sys1.ora
> -rw-rw---- 1 oracle oracle 568324096 Nov 30 17:48 tmp01.ora
> -rw-rw---- 1 oracle oracle 745148416 Nov 30 23:07 user01.ora
>
> As I mentioned - really cool tool should take everything from those files,
> and transfer to new database :)
> I can create users first, but afraid of the rest :/
>
> Thanks again for infos.
>
> Regards
> [...]

The differences between 8.1.6 and anything currently supported are monumental. I would recommend setting up the 10g database as a new install and then moving the data but none of the configuration.

If you are not familiar with UNDO, ASSM, the recyclebin, and a large number of other features, including the disappearance of SVRMGRL do your homework first.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington