Re: Transferring Oracle database

From: Michal AKA Miki <jakistammichal_at_z.onetu.pl>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 02:26:11 +0100

Uzytkownik "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> napisal w wiadomosci news:1164843348.937245_at_bubbleator.drizzle.com...
> Michal AKA Miki wrote:
> > Hi...
> >
> > Maybe somebody will help me with one thing..
> >
> > I've just faced new task - copying data from Oracle based on Unix (HP
UX),
> > to Oracle based on Windows 2000 Server...
> > I wonder, if there is any possibility (or "cheap" tool) to copy settings
and
> > data between different systems... I know, I can export data from old
> > machine, and import inside new one - I can do it... But unfortuantely
I'm
> > not very familiar with such migrations, so all helpful links or infos
will
> > be appreciated..

> Given that you are working with Oracle version 5 it is not possible. <g>
>
> On the other hand if you have 8i or above you could use Export/Import
> 9i or above you could use Transportable Tablespaces
> 10g or above you could use DataPump or External Tables
>
> All of these are free ... hope that is cheap enough.
> Documentation can be found at: http://tahiti.oracle.com and demos
> in Morgan's Library at www.psoug.org.

Thanks a lot... Also for the rest... Now I need some time to dig those infos (and some another - googled)...

Meanwhile a bunch of details:
- Oracle on HP UX has version 8.1.6
- Oracle on Windows should be version 10.x (10.0.9 AFAIR), but if I will not manage, I will do also version 8.1.6. But this is situation not very comfortable, because version 8.x is not supported anymore by Oracle... - Oracle on Windows is not yet installed, I don't know if it's important info :)
- I practiced IMP80.EXE and EXP80.EXE - data transfers are easy... but I need also to transfer procedures, tablespaces settings, and whole rest. - I wonder, if there is any tool, for pointing source path (copied from Unix system to Windows), where whole catalog with data is stored? in my case: oradata/MRH/ have files:

drwxrwxrwx   4 root       sys             96 Jan  4  2006 ..
-rw-rw----   1 oracle     oracle     8302592 Dec  1 02:47 ctrl01.ctl
-rw-rw----   1 oracle     oracle     8302592 Dec  1 02:47 ctrl02.ctl
-rw-rw----   1 oracle     oracle     10489856 Nov 30 17:48 indx01.ora
-rw-rw----   1 oracle     oracle     10486784 Nov 30 14:09 log11.ora
-rw-rw----   1 oracle     oracle     10486784 Nov 30 17:33 log21.ora
-rw-rw----   1 oracle     oracle     10486784 Dec  1 00:04 log31.ora
-rw-rw----   1 oracle     oracle     10486784 Nov 30 09:41 log41.ora
-rw-rw----   1 oracle     oracle     103018496 Dec  1 00:20 rbs01.ora
-rw-rw----   1 oracle     oracle     81924096 Dec  1 00:20 sys1.ora
-rw-rw----   1 oracle     oracle     568324096 Nov 30 17:48 tmp01.ora
-rw-rw----   1 oracle     oracle     745148416 Nov 30 23:07 user01.ora

As I mentioned - really cool tool should take everything from those files, and transfer to new database :)
I can create users first, but afraid of the rest :/

Thanks again for infos.

Regards
Michal Received on Thu Nov 30 2006 - 19:26:11 CST