Re: Translation for Oracle?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 29 Nov 2006 07:48:12 -0800

On Nov 29, 5:33 am, "RJ" <ridwan.je..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Is there a way to translate words in a column from Afrikaans to
> English?
> If not, is there a way to check spelling? If so could I separate
> misspelled words and insert them in another table (temp table)?
> I am using 9i and 10g?
>
> Thanks in advance..

RJ, what you seem to be asking for is a translation program. I am sure that translation programs have been written, but where to find one that would meet your specific needs is another question.

You can do what you want using an update statement and a user function that takes the value of the current column and compares it to a translation table to get the translated value. Depending on exactly what kind and how much translation you need to do writing your own may be practical or you may need to look for a commercial product.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed Nov 29 2006 - 09:48:12 CST