Re: Character Set Issues

From: Laurenz Albe <invite_at_spam.to.invalid>
Date: 29 Nov 2006 14:28:21 GMT

giles.buist_at_lycos.co.uk wrote:
> What is the value of the environment variable NLS_LANG on the client?
> ENLGISH_UNITEDKINGDOM.AL32UTF8
>
> By the way I've realised that the AL32UTF8 characterset is infact a
> unicode compliant character set, so guessing that's not the issue.

Since you are on a Windows client, this is most certainly a problem!

NLS_LANG must contain the character set of the client machine or application, NOT the database character set! It is used to determine to which character set the UTF-8 strings stored in the database should be converted to when they are transferred to the client.

Since you are on Windows, the correct setting is

NLS_LANG=ENLGISH_UNITEDKINGDOM.WE8MSWIN1252 Maybe this solves your problem, maybe there is a different problem too.

To know that, I'd like to know in more detail what you are doing:

How exactly does 'the Java front end' work?

When you say 'you enter something into the database with an SQL statement', which client interface are you using? SQL*Plus?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe Received on Wed Nov 29 2006 - 08:28:21 CST