Re: column update order

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 14:01:14 +0100

On 21.11.2006 13:28, Charles Hooper wrote:
> Robert Klemme wrote:

<snip/>

> Good catch. I noticed that you appended the table name in front of
> CURRENT_DATE, while the OP did not. I suspect that the OP may have
> overlooked the possibility of something else was happening in the
> system.

Guess so.

> Interestingly, when I performed the above test from home connecting
> into a 10.2.0.2 database with a 8.1.7 client, the OLD_DATE column was
> set to SYSDATE + 5/24, while in the office connecting into a 10.2.0.2
> database with a 10.2.0 client, OLD_DATE was set to SYSDATE. I guess
> consistent has more than one definition.

For all I know, these are the rules (could not find the place in doc as reference where it is stated): column values appearing on the right side of an assignment in UPDATE refer /always/ to the old value - even in the light of multi column updates. If they appear on the left the column value is changed in the course of the update.

Kind regards

        robert Received on Tue Nov 21 2006 - 07:01:14 CST