Re: "create sequence" statement and 'starting with' clause issue

From: Jim Smith <usenet_at_ponder-stibbons.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 11:23:55 +0000

In message <1164055662.329196.40940_at_h54g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_gmail.com> writes

>termoPilucco wrote:
>> sybrandb ha scritto:
>>
>> > CREATE SEQUENCE is DDL (Data Definition Language).
>> > DDL is not possible in PL/SQL except via EXECUTE IMMEDIATE <command
>> > string>.
>>
>> Ah thanks, now it works fine!
>>

>> > it is EXTREEMLY BAD practice to create a database on the fly.
>>
>> I understand, but i have no choice about it
>>
>> termoPilucco
>
>Are you sure you really need to CREATE a sequence for every file??

I don't think he is creating a sequence for every file. What he said was

 >I want to create a sequence using a SQL text file and launcihng with sqlplus.

I assume he is doing some sort of database upgrade and creating a sequence to be used instead of manually created ids in a table which already contains data.

--
Jim Smith
Ponder Stibbons Limited <http://oracleandting.blogspot.com/>