Re: can not create directories like adump etc

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: 20 Nov 2006 12:34:48 -0800

roopla wrote:
> I was trying to create a database instance using DBCA in 10G. After
> selecting all parameters, small window pops up and says cannot create
> adump directory. Do I have to create all these directory manually
> before I run DBCA or what. I am running dbca from oracle login account.
>
> It's pretty much giving the same error like cannot create some
> directories or some files for everything it's supposed to create
> atutomatically. I am able to create mannually all these directories but
> why DBCA can't create these automatically otherwise no point in
> creating database through DBCA. Am I missing something here
>
> Please help

You need to verify whether you can actually create directories in the 'root' of adump, bdump and cdump etc, usually $ORACLE_BASE/admin/$ORACLE_SID, on Unix level. Dbca allows you to verify the value of those parameters (through the 'view all parameters' window).
The error is problem on your system, not DBCA. And apart from that: creating a database is much more complicated than created a few directories, and creating a database manually is much more complicated.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA