Re: APEX in Oracle XE stopped working

From: Martin J. Evans <martin.evans_at_easysoft.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 15:15:00 +0000

Martin wrote:
> Frank van Bortel wrote:

>> Well, something is running there...

> sure is
>
>> Something redirects your localhost:8080/apex to localhost:8080/apex/apex
>> Very anctius to see what localhost:8080:/apex/i results into.
>> Also: a trailing slash may resolve the issue, simply:
>> localhost:8080/apex/

> It doesn't; I should have said I tried that. I'll try otn and see what
> anyone there comes up with.
> I'll post back here when I resolve the issue.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Martin

As promised I'm reporting back now that I have Apex working again. A big thank you to the guys on OTN Application Express group and especially Dietmar.

I cannot be 100% certain exactly what broke my Apex but it would seem somewhere a long the way PLSQL_WARNINGS got set System-wide to ERROR:ALL when the default is DISABLE:ALL. This stopped some packages from building. The combination of PLSQL_WARNINGS and the compiling of dbmsobtk.sql for DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT seemed to be what broke Apex.

If you run into problems with Apex like the one I got then can set the PL/SQL gateway to show what error it runs into when executing the APEX package by running:

exec dbms_epg.set_dad_attribute('APEX', 'error-style', 'DebugStyle')

(Afterwards turn it off with
exec dbms_epg.delete_dad_attribute('APEX', 'error-style'); )

This showed me the problem was:

ORA-04063: package body "FLOWS_020100.WWV_FLOW" has errors ORA-06508: PL/SQL: could not find program unit being called: "FLOWS_020100.WWV_FLOW"
ORA-06512: at "FLOWS_020100.APEX", line 1

After putting PLSQL_WARNINGS right and rerunning:

@?/rdbms/admin/dbmsoctk.sql
@?/rdbms/admin/prvtoctk.plb
@?/rdbms/admin/utlrp

and recompiling:
alter package DBMS_CRYPTO_TOOLKIT compile; alter package DBMS_CRYPTO_TOOLKIT compile body; alter package FLOWS_020100.wwv_flow compile body;

All was working again.

Thanks for your help.

Martin Received on Mon Nov 20 2006 - 09:15:00 CST