Re: Benchmarking scripts for 9i/10g

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_ponder-stibbons.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 08:29:05 +0000

In message <1163780134.513321.71930_at_m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>, Charles Hooper <hooperc2000_at_yahoo.com> writes
>Tarby777 wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Are there any freebie scripts out there that can be used to generate
>> benchmarks for an Oracle instance? Doesn't have to be too detailed,
>> doesn't have to be perfect... just looking for something that does a
>> fair chunk of work so that I can get an idea of the performance of our
>> in-house testing rig relative to what our customers have...
>>
>> TIA
>> Tarby
>
>* Statspack (ships with Oracle)
>* AWR (additional cost feature for 10g Enterprise, turned on by default
>even in the Standard Edition of 10g R2 - but can't be licensed for use
>with that version)
>* 10046 trace at level 8 or 12 (see "Optimizing Oracle Performance"
>book by Cary Millsap)
>* 10053 trace (see "Cost-Based Oracle Fundamental" by Jonathan Lewis)
>* Directly query the performance views in Oracle

These are not benchmarking tools, they are performance monitoring/analysis tools. The OP was looking for something to generate a workload.

I don't know of anything Oracle-specific but Mercury Loadrunner <http://www.mercury.com> gets a lot of mentions when these things come up.

--
Jim Smith
I'm afraid you've mistaken me for someone who gives a damn.