Re: APEX in Oracle XE stopped working

From: Martin J. Evans <martin.evans_at_easysoft.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 17:58:43 +0000

HansF wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 16:00:56 +0000, Martin J. Evans wrote:
>

>> HansF wrote:

>>> Generic response here ...
>>>
>>> A few possible external factors may stop APEX from running.  You don't
>>> specify which Linux you are using and that could make a difference as the
>>> distros have some differences.
>> Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux)
>>
>> Oracle 10.2.0.1.0
>>

> Thanks. Fedora series is notable for the infernal SELinux interfereing
> with Oracle operations. However, you have verified that SELinux is
> disabled.

Good, one ruled out.

>>> Another challenge is DHCP ... the listener & tns lock in the host name at
>>> install time and DHCP can change the host's IP so that does not always get
>>> resolved consistently. Similar symptoms from DNS-based resolution instead
>>> of /etc/hosts
>> Argh, did not know that. This box is DHCP, currently running with
>> 192.168.0.87 and named x.easysoft.local but I cannot absolutely
>> guarantee it was exactly the same when oracle was installed although we
>> do tie mac addresses to IP addresses and this one is tied.
>>
>> Do you know where the "listener and tns lock in the host name at install
>> time"?
>>

> $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin ... the listeer.ora and tnsnames.ora files.

tnsnames.ora lists a host of x.easysoft.local which is the correct host i.e. ip address 192.168.0.87 is x.easysoft.local (on an nslookup) and vice versa for reverse dns.

Similarly in listener.ora.

>>> What happens when you try going against the localhost instead of the
>>> installed host?  http://localhost:8080/apex
>> This demonstrates a redirect I think:
>>
>> As I said above, without the /apex it shows the oracle license so oracle
>> is listening.

> Yup. Sorry , I'd glossed over the previous replies and missed that one.
>
> This states, in no uncertain terms, that the apex listener is managing the
> intercept properly. That sort-of tells me the port and DHCP stuff is not
> an issue right now.

Good - another thing ruled out :-)

> Which means that apex itself may have become invalid or corrupt.
>
> http://{host}:8080/i should give a list of directories.

It gives me a huge list of gif, css files and some dirs.

> Suggest you register for the Oracle Tech Net (otn) Express
> database discussion forum and ask there. I haven't spent any time
> researching an Apex-only reinstall (as my specialty is the XE baseline
> install), but a few of the others have gone down this path.
>
> Search this forum and the OTN Database-General forum for 'register for XE'
>

>>> Since you can access using sqlplus, what happens when you
>>>
>>> exec sethttpport(8091);
>>>
>>> in sqlplus as a DBA, and then try http to that port in your browser.
>> identifier 'SETHTTPPORT' must be declared
>>

> I keep doing that ... it's dbms_xdb.sethttpport()

ok.

> But ... it's not necessary in this case, as the listener is actualy
> running properly on the right port.

Thanks for all your help; it has ruled a lot out and I think I'll be in a better position to define the problem in your suggested direction of otn.

Martin Received on Wed Nov 15 2006 - 11:58:43 CST