Re: APEX in Oracle XE stopped working

From: Martin J. Evans <martin.evans_at_easysoft.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 16:00:56 +0000

HansF wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 01:37:45 -0800, Martin wrote:
>

>> The database is running fine - no problems there. Just this problem
>> with apex.

> Generic response here ...
>
> A few possible external factors may stop APEX from running. You don't
> specify which Linux you are using and that could make a difference as the
> distros have some differences.

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux)

Oracle 10.2.0.1.0

> Most common issue is that some form of firewall is running, perhaps
> re-enabled as a result of a patch. If you are running a Fedora, then look
> at SELinux settings.

Don't believe we are running any kind of firewall. What makes me think this is:

  1. a wget http://machine.domain:8080 returns ok It returns "ORACLE DATABASE 10g EXPRESS EDITION LICENSE AGREEMENT" page.
  2. # ./iptables status Firewall is stopped.
  3. /etc/sysconfig/selinux says SELINUX=disabled

> Another challenge is DHCP ... the listener & tns lock in the host name at
> install time and DHCP can change the host's IP so that does not always get
> resolved consistently. Similar symptoms from DNS-based resolution instead
> of /etc/hosts

Argh, did not know that. This box is DHCP, currently running with 192.168.0.87 and named x.easysoft.local but I cannot absolutely guarantee it was exactly the same when oracle was installed although we do tie mac addresses to IP addresses and this one is tied.

Do you know where the "listener and tns lock in the host name at install time"?

> I've also noted that people use other tools, like JBoss or TomCat, on the
> same ports as the Apex port.

I've checked - that is not happening.

> What happens when you try going against the localhost instead of the
> installed host? http://localhost:8080/apex

This demonstrates a redirect I think:

$ wget -S http://localhost:8080/apex
--15:50:31-- http://localhost:8080/apex

            => `apex'
Resolving localhost... 127.0.0.1
Connecting to localhost|127.0.0.1|:8080... connected. HTTP request sent, awaiting response...

   HTTP/1.1 302 Found
   Server: Oracle XML DB/Oracle Database    Location: /apex/apex
   Connection: close
Location: /apex/apex [following]
--15:50:31-- http://localhost:8080/apex/apex

            => `apex'
Connecting to localhost|127.0.0.1|:8080... connected. HTTP request sent, awaiting response...

   HTTP/1.1 404 Not found
   Server: Oracle XML DB/Oracle Database    Content-Type: text/html
   Connection: close
15:50:31 ERROR 404: Not found.

As I said above, without the /apex it shows the oracle license so oracle is listening.

> Since you can access using sqlplus, what happens when you
>
> exec sethttpport(8091);
>
> in sqlplus as a DBA, and then try http to that port in your browser.

identifier 'SETHTTPPORT' must be declared

May be I wasn't the right user for that. My colleague is off today and may know other users that were set up.

Thanks for all your ideas. The dhcp one looks the most likely so if you know where oracle stores the ip address or host name I can check those to see if they changed.

Thanks again.

Martin Received on Wed Nov 15 2006 - 10:00:56 CST