Re: Loading external data without specifying column names

From: Chrean <nouvelle.gabriel_at_gmail.com>
Date: 14 Nov 2006 11:25:09 -0800

sybrandb ha scritto:

> Chrean wrote:
> > Hello folks,
> > I'd need to do exactly what I wrote in subject.
> > Starting from a set of txt files, each containing data to be loaded in
> > my oracle db's tables, I have to write a script that loops on each file
> > and load it into the db.
> > I tried with sqlldr, but it requires that I specify every column name.
> > I don't want to do that, 'cause my routine will always find a match
> > between db columns and datafiles fields.
> >
> > Correct syntax is:
> >
> > load data
> > infile 'example.dat' "fix 11"
> > into table example
> > fields terminated by ',' optionally enclosed by '"'
> > (col1, col2)
> >
> > while I'd want something like this:
> >
> > load data
> > infile 'example.dat' "fix 11"
> > into table example
> > fields terminated by ',' optionally enclosed by '"'
> >
> > 'cause I already know my table will have 2 columns (and my datafile
> > will always have 2 fields, of course), not necessarily named "col1",
> > "col2".
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Chrean
>
> Oracle is a *database*, NOT a GARBAGE BIN.
> Databases are *DESIGNED*!!!
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

That's not what I meant.
I don't have to CREATE tables, but to append data to existent ones, thus column names are not significant to me. And since my schema will not always be the same for each customer (this means, a table may have 3 columns in a customer implementation while 4 in another one), I'd just need to import data as they are. I can explain the reason why I have to follow such steps, if you'll ask me to.

Thanks again. Received on Tue Nov 14 2006 - 13:25:09 CST