Re: How can I select an element that doesn't exists in a table?

From: Maxim Demenko <mdemenko_at_arcor.de>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 15:42:39 +0100

jose_luis_fdez_diaz schrieb:
> In the table below:
>
> table1
> ---------
> 1
> 2
> 4
> 5
>

> select 3 from table1 where not exists (select * from table1 where
> row1!=3)
>
> returns:
>
> 3
> 3
> 3
> 3
>
> I only want "one" 3.
>
> How can I get it?
>
> PD: Sorry for my little explanation in the last post.
>

> Regards,
> Jose Luis.
>
> Laurenz Albe wrote:

>> jose_luis_fdez_diaz <gfiuni2_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Idem.
>> 'Idem' is Latin for 'the same'.
>>
>> What do you want to tell us?
>> Or, more to the point, what is your question?
>>
>> If it is the question in the subject, please clarify what you want.
>>
>> Are you looking for 'SELECT 42 FROM dual' ?
>>
>> Yours,
>> Laurenz Albe

Your query would return no rows (not 4 rows with '3'). Still it is unclear, what you try to achieve. Do you have a sequential values in your table and like find the "gaps" in this sequence ? If yes, are the start and end values defined ( i.e. , if the gap occur at the highest end of your sequence, do you consider this to be a gap or not) ?

Best regards

Maxim Received on Mon Nov 13 2006 - 08:42:39 CST