Re: Survey...Please help and respond!!

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala.spam-me-not_at_verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 14:09:47 GMT

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 15:40:22 -0800, d-licious wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am doing a project on the database industry and would appreciate if
> you all could answer a few questions for me!
>
> · What do you think of Oracle providing support for Red Hat Linux?

Good thing that someone does provide it. Red Hat surely doesn't. With Fedora, Red Looks more like Jack Abramoff then a serious software company.

> · What database(s) are you currently using, what operating system

SQL Server on Solaris and Linux. This question was posted to Oracle groups, wasn't it?

> does
> it run on, and what database options are you using?
> · Over the next 6-12 months, are you planning to buy any database(s)
> or option(s)? If so, which ones?

Anything unbreakable.

> · What do you like most about your current database(s)?

Job security for a DBA like me.

> · Any specific issues you find in the product?

Yup. You'll find some of them in 10.2.0.3 patchset list of fixed bugs.

> · Are you using any open-source products? If yes, which ones and for
> what prime reasons?

Oh yes: Linux, gcc, vim, Perl and alike.

> · Are you switching any database in favor of an alternative? If so,
> which
> ones?
> · Are there any general trends you see in the database market?

Yes. Products are less tested, buggier and more and more unreliable.

--
http://www.mladen-gogala.com