Re: Newbie: Creating new database files

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 8 Nov 2006 11:44:24 -0800

Ade wrote:

> Hi, to answer your question, COBOL, C, Basic, Fortran, Macro Assembler and
> Powerhouse

What, no BLISS? :-)

> No I don't have separate disks on my home PC. The main reason here is to
> keep the database files for each application away from other apps.
>
> I have learnt quite a bit about tablespaces over the last week or so,
> especially the fact that Oracle 10g Express won't, in itself, let you create
> any within the GUI. However, using the SQLPLUS that comes along with it is a
> different matter. In that you can manipulate the entities (for want of a
> better word) a whole lot better.
>
> I still can't find the command to extend a file once created though. I
> initially entered the following;
>
> SQL> create tablespace datafile 'c:\trash\my_tablespace.dbf' size 200000;
>
> I then had a look in the directory and saw the 200,000 byte file (I was kind
> of expecting it in 512 byte blocks - oh well that's VMS for ya!) so I
> decided to try to extend it but couldn't find the command.
>
> Looking on the web, I have found that you should initialize to what you
> think should last for a while and include the extend clause in the create
> statement. Still wouldn't mind a single command to extend it though.

Brian and Charles gave you the command, but I would add you want to familiarize yourself with how to find this stuff in the docs. Decoding the sql syntax as presented in the manual is a skill in itself, but a necessary one. http://tahiti.oracle.com is a fairly decent search engine, including a list of books if you know which one to go to. In this case, you need the SQL Reference and see Alter Tablespace. Of course, you should read the Concepts and 2-Day DBA if you haven't already.

Some other resources here: http://www.dbaoracle.net/readme-cdos.htm

I remember the first time seeing a complete set of V3 VMS manuals at a Datatrieve training class, set up linearly on a table that stretched along an entire wall. Ah memories...

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://williambader.com/museum/vax/vaxhistory.html