Re: Book recommendations - Oracle Forms and Oracle Reports

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 09:02:29 -0800

comp.databases.oracle.server wrote:
> Hi,
> Could someone please recommend books on Oracle Forms and Oracle
> Reports.
> I am new to Oracle and would like to develop a simple forms application
> that generates reports. As my understanding and experience increases, I
> will add functionality.
>
> As stated in the title, I am new to Oracle but experienced in SQL
> Server and Crystal Reports.
>
> The version of Oracle Developer is 10g.
>
> Any other resources would help as well.
>
> Thank you.

There really are none I would recommend. All of the books I have ever purchased, and it is a long list, have been weak on Forms and essentially worthless on reports.

The worst part has been in index which often doesn't even acknowledge essential features and help in answer the "how do I?" questions.

My recommendation would be to find someone as a mentor or purchase a lot of books and suffer through their inadequacies. Getting other people's forms and dissecting them is also often quite helpful. I can make some available if you contact me off-line.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington