Re: Newbie: Creating new database files

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 14:21:30 GMT

> This sounds exactly like what I would like to achieve. Although I'm a newbie
> to Oracle, I have spent many years using OpenVMS on Vaxes and Alphas,
> specifically utilising the proprietary RMS record management system using
> several legacy programming languages. I very much appreciate the need to
> keep potentially conflicting applications apart for disk I/O and security
> reasons. but my question still remains; how do I achieve this under Oracle
> 10g Express Edition? (hey - it was free, OK?? :-) )

You'll have to create seperate tablespace. Do this with the CREATE TABLESPACE command. Then move your application's tables and indexes to the tablespace with the ALTER TABLE MOVE and ALTER INDEX REBUILD commands.

> I would also like to know if this is possible to do at run-time using SQL
> exectued from a VB6 program.

Once your application's objects are in their own tablespace, you do not have to do anything in your application code. Oracle will find the object when the code references it.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net