Re: how to copy data from long to varchar2

From: Martin T. <bilbothebagginsbab5_at_freenet.de>
Date: 2 Nov 2006 04:58:25 -0800

Peter Keckeis wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I would like a way to copy the data from l_txt to vc_txt with sql*plus.
>
> create table test (pk char(6), vc_txt varchar2(2000), l_txt long,
> constraint testpk primary key(pk))
>
> Using
>
> update test set vc_txt = l_txt;
> or
> update test set vc_txt = to_char(l_txt);
>
> generates an ORA-00932 error.
>
> Can you tell me please the right update statement.

You might want to post your Oracle version when asking around here :)

Hmm .... can't get this to work on 9i2 either, but the docs don't seem to say it wouldn't work.

Work-around:

begin
  for reco in (
    select *
    from test
    for update
  ) loop
    update test set vc_txt = reco.l_txt;   end loop;
end;

br,
Martin Received on Thu Nov 02 2006 - 06:58:25 CST