Re: Newbie: Creating new database files

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 1 Nov 2006 14:42:13 -0800

Geoff Muldoon wrote:
> jim_at_ponder-stibbons.com says...
>
> > Muldoon <geoff.muldoon_at_trap.gmail.com> writes
> > > But *why* you'd bother
> > >to set up separate tablespaces for each schema/user (read that as each
> > >"database" in Access terms) just to simulate what you used to do in Access
> > >is the real question. I can't think of a decent reason why you would.
> > >
> > Separating applications by tablespace is a very common practice.
>
> Commonly done doesn't necessarily mean sensibly done. I've seen similar
> debates here about the supposed benefits of separating tables and indexes
> into separate tablespaces. Advantages of separate tablespaces per app?
>
> Geoff M

You can backup by tablespace, so you can have different backup cycles by application.

Also note that many people consider separating tables and indexes of value for manageability reasons. You can recreate indexes without recovery.

Also, transportable tablespaces can be more useful for some apps than others.

As always, it freakin' depends.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"I don't see how we could possibly buy Red Hat. I'm not going to spend