Re: Newbie: Creating new database files

From: Geoff Muldoon <geoff.muldoon_at_trap.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 09:14:14 +1100

In article <ei7aek$kkq$1_at_lore.csc.com>, Ade_at_nowhere.com says...

> Ideally, as with Access previously, I would expect each application I write
> to have their own set of files which can be stored away from other
> applications. This was so easily done with Access (sorry if I'm swearing. by
> the way!!).

In Access you might want to do this because Access is so flaky it was a possible part of several fudges. On any industrial-strength database with decent security and a proper IMP/EXP facility, there is no real reason to do this.

> With Oracle it appears that there is a central database area underneath the
> Oracle directory tree which will contain data for all applications using it.

Read up on tablespaces. It's probably as close a concept in Oracle as you'll get to what you seem to be talking about. But *why* you'd bother to set up separate tablespaces for each schema/user (read that as each "database" in Access terms) just to simulate what you used to do in Access is the real question. I can't think of a decent reason why you would.

Geoff M Received on Tue Oct 31 2006 - 16:14:14 CST