Re: ORA-12154 ?!!?!?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 24 Oct 2006 16:04:54 -0700

MattJ83 wrote:
> Im getting a bit of a headache......
>
> Im getting this nasty error:
> DBI connect('server','database',...) failed: at ./code.pl line 22
> couldn't connect to database: Error while trying to retrieve text for
> error ORA-12154 (DBD ERROR: OCIServerAttach)
>
> its a perl script that i have written. It seems to work fine on server
> #1 but not on server #2.
> The env settings are different between these servers. but only in the
> PATH settings. Server #1 doesn't even have a ORACLE_HOME setting but it
> works.
>
> I have checked the TNSnames_file on the server with one that is
> working. They are really big so haven't gone through them all but the
> bits I am interested in (relating to the database) are there and i have
> done random checks and they seem identical.
>
> Anyone got any idea about this? Its driving me insane!

Be sure you are checking all entries in the file. I've seen people go insane over this, only to realize there are two slightly different entries with the same name, and they only looked at the first one.

Are you checking the tnsnames.ora on the client? Maybe your client oracle home is wrong and that's why you see "Error while trying to retrieve text ". Are your servers clients also?

Also, run a lsnrctl status on both servers, and compare that to what is in the tnsnames on the client.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.orafaq.com/search/ORA-12154