Deadlock in single session

From: Tarby777 <nick_williamson_at_mentorg.com>
Date: 19 Oct 2006 04:04:25 -0700

Hi all,

I'd appreciate your help with a problem that I've got at the moment. I'm running a script that applies the delta DDL that is required to get the database from one version of my app to the next. The script also does some DML after applying the schema changes. There are no other sessions running. I'm getting this error in the script's logfile:

Sequence dropped.
Sequence dropped.
rename TEMP_MULTWIRE_SEQ to MULTTERM_SEQ

              *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

This is happening at a point in the script where I'm dropping two existing sequences, and renaming two other sequences (which are created earlier in the script) so that they have the same names as the sequences that just got dropped:

drop sequence MULTTERM_SEQ;
drop sequence WELDWIRESPEC_SEQ;
rename TEMP_MULTWIRE_SEQ to MULTTERM_SEQ; rename TEMP_UWELD_SEQ to WELDWIRESPEC_SEQ;

Now, what's confusing me is that the trace file generated at the time of this error doesn't mention the sequences but it does complain about a deadlock on a table that has just had several DDL operations applied to it. Here's the trace file:

[start of trace file]

Dump file d:\oracle\admin\chs\udump\chs_ora_2220.trc Thu Oct 19 09:47:47 2006
ORACLE V9.2.0.1.0 - Production vsnsta=0
vsnsql=12 vsnxtr=3
Windows 2000 Version 5.2 Service Pack 1, CPU type 586 Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production With the Partitioning, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options JServer Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production
Windows 2000 Version 5.2 Service Pack 1, CPU type 586 Instance name: chs

Redo thread mounted by this instance: 1

Oracle process number: 8

Windows thread id: 2220, image: ORACLE.EXE

[end of trace file]

So... I'm confused. Is the problem with the sequences or with the table? From what I can find about ORA-04020, it seems to be something to do with the library cache, and people recommend issuing a commit to free up a lock, but I don't see how that would help in this situation.

FWIW, the DDL operations on the harnloc1 table before the sequences get dropped / renamed are:

  1. Drop the only FK constraint
  2. Modify the width of a numeric column
  3. Add some new columns
  4. Re-add the FK constraint, disabled
  5. Enable the FK constraint

TIA
Tarby Received on Thu Oct 19 2006 - 06:04:25 CDT