Re: NEWBIE Get Designer Started

From: K. Nielsen <nahdsl232734_at_nahvip.cybercity.dk>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 14:01:39 +0200

"Felix Bollenbeck" <feboll_at_gmx.de> wrote in message news:1161169291.969424.180130_at_f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Hi Thomas,
> no time for me to do that, I have a DB course exam next week, and the
> lecturer used oracle designer in the course for some stuff, so i dont
> need to get oracle running properly, just get that designer startet and
> get familiar espacially with its ER notation...
>
> so how to 'kick start' the designer?
>
> a test db ist already running i just dont know the syntax to connect!
>

> TIA&regards,
>
> felix.
>

> Thomas Blankschein schrieb:
>
>> Please start with reading the Concepts Guide from the documentation. It
>> will answer most of the questions, especially if you come from other
>> dbms like MySQL, Postgresql or SQL Server. It will prevent you from
>> thinking "all databases behave the same" concerning transaction
>> management, locking and many other things.
>>
>> I wish I would have read this document five years ago when I started
>> with oracle. It would have made the start much easier :-)
>>
>> Thomas

Have you installed the repository ?

Under the developer suite menu you should find 'software configuration guide' --> oracle scm repository installation guide'.

Follow the installation guide very carefully.

The above is what I have on my home XP (and at work on a W2003) installation which is 9.0.4 or
dev suite 10 g (as everything else from Oracle these days :-)).

Good luck with your exam. Received on Wed Oct 18 2006 - 07:01:39 CDT