PL/SQL job failing - extents?

From: Andrew <andrewgothard_at_Nospamthanks.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 22:41:13 GMT

First up - sorry if this is a daft question - got a fair bit of SQL Server and Informix background - Oracle - total newbie. Got a PL/SQL run which fails fairly regularly with a fetch out of sequence error. Usually I know this is because you try to fetch after closing a cursor - particularly during nested fetches. However - this problem - without changing the data at all (transfer and additional information from one table - plus lookups to another) runs OK most of the time when re-run. So - my admittedly rough guess is some kind of contention. Now - in some cases in SQL Server - Informix, this can be caused by the table having a new extent applied part way through the job - and again the job will go ok on re-run as there's now enough space for the job. I asked our Oracle bods whether this may be the case, and when the last extent was allocated to the target table - to see if it co-incided with the job failure. Got back a snotty "I've been working with Orcle for 10 years" reply "and there's no easy way to do this" The two questions are - is the additional extent issue likely, secondly - how can you check the date and time of the last extent allocation for a given table?

cheers
Andrew Received on Tue Oct 17 2006 - 17:41:13 CDT